Saturday, November 29, 2008

Search for Slaty-backed Gull Hybrid, Boulder County

November 28, 2008

Richard Stevens:

Gary Weston and I traveled up to Boulder County mainly to get a look at the possible Slaty-backed Gull. The bird was not up at six-mile reservoir at first light so we decided to check several other locations and return later.

The SBGU was not a Baseline Reservoir. We did see a Surf Scoter and Long-tailed Duck (both previously reported). Few gulls around. Lagerman Reservoir also had only a few Ring-billed Gulls.

No large gulls were found at Union Reservoir or Jim Hamm Park across the street. We walked Jim Hamm and did get the previously reported Swamp Sparrow to respond to a recording!

Returning to six-mile reservoir I learned the SBGU had departed about 5 minutes before arrival. I decided to check Lagerman again and then head to McIntosh Lake. This time there were no gulls at Lagerman.

When I arrived at McIntosh Lake several birders on the South side declared the Gull was not there and left. I decided to drive around to the North side. As I reached the southeast corner, forty Ring-billed Gulls and the SBGU were standing on ice. Unfortunately, I hit the curb as I made a U-turn and most of the gulls took off.

Once on the North side I relocated the SBGU. Again it took off and almost flew over my head and continued northeast. Gary who had stayed at six-mile reservoir arrived at McIntosh too late.

We parked my car at the Wal-mart and took Gary's jeep up to Cameron Pass (Jackson/Larimer Counties). It was snowing when we arrived, but there was absolutely no wind. Go figure? Without any prompting we heard and located a Boreal Owl west of the Summit.

No comments: