Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Rocky Mountain Arsenal

November 25, 2008

Richard Stevens:

In the afternoon (2:00pm) I decided to bird the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County). Winds were 5-10 mph and temperatures in the 40s.

A Ross's Goose was on Lake Lenore behind the Visitor's Center. The White-cheeked Geese count was 3,420 (give or take).

A flock of sparrows in the thickets, bushes, and grasses at the northwest corner of Lake Lenore included 17 Song, 9 White-crowned, and 31 American Tree Sparrows.

Continuing around Lake Lenore, a Greater White-fronted Goose was observed at the eastern end of the western portion of the lake. In total at Lake Lenore: 14 Canvasbacks, many Buffleheads, many Gadwalls, Mallards, and 36+ Common Goldeneyes were counted.

My plan was to circle Lake Lenore, head over to Rod and Gun Club Lake, and finish the day at Havana Ponds. A hike of about 5.4 miles. When I was on the east side of Lenore a kind federal worker offered me a ride.

The worker took me over to Lower Derby Lake (no public access) and then east to see the pair of resident Bald Eagles and their nest.

Lower Derby Lake had another 1500+ ducks and geese. The highlight was a female Black Scoter! There was a report of a swan here 2 weeks ago. I am trying to run down additional information on that bird.

I was quite glad for the ride when we arrived at Havana Ponds. For the waterfowl total there was 1 Gadwall (that was it). Twelve Ring-billed Gulls stood on the southern end. Not another bird, the extra 2.3 mile hike I was planning would not have been a good use of the limited daylight.

Instead I hiked Mary Lake. Not too many birds were here, but I did find a Marsh Wren!

No comments: