Friday, November 28, 2008

Clear Creek County and Southwest Metro Area

November 27, 2008

Richard Stevens:

This morning I took Ray Simmons and Davie King to Guanella Pass (Clear Creek County). It was one of those rare days where we found 9+ White-tailed Ptarmigan in less than 20 minutes!

After dropping them off at the Light Rail Station at Mineral, I hiked from the Carson Nature Center at South Platte Park (Arapahoe) to the spur trail for the Bird Blind approximately 0.5 miles south.

When I arrived there was a flock of sparrows just west of the blind. The flock included 6-7 White-crowned Sparrows, 2 Song Sparrows, a Lincoln's Sparrow (gave me a 6 second look), and the Harris's Sparrow (observed 3 times for approx. 4 seconds each.

The flock stayed close to the ground and bottom of the willows. It moved west to the corner of the lake and then headed north. When I left the flock it was in the willows below (east) the large clump of cottonwoods that still had many dead leaves on it (other trees were basically bare).

From South Platte Park I drove north to Hampden Blvd and then west to Fort Logan National Cemetery (Denver County). At least four Greater Scaup are still on Memorial Lake (eastern lake).

I continued south on Sheridan Blvd to Marston Reservoir where I photographed a Pacific Loon that was quite close to the Bowmar Drive side of the lake (eastern side). In all, I observed 3 Pacific Loons and 2 Common Loons. The highlight however was photographing 3 Tundra Swans!

My plan was to head north to the South Platte River and 88th Avenue to look for the Long-tailed Ducks and Barrow's Goldeneyes. However I received a text message about 3 species of loons at Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas) and turned South.

For a place that was supposed to be loony, I only found 1 Common Loon. I parked at the parking area above the dam and hiked east and south to Plum Creek Delta and back. The highlight here was 2 Black Scoters that were just below and south of the dam tower.

Later I drove around to the southeast marina, the handicapped fishing dock, and the heron rookery. No additional loons were found. Two Cedar Waxwings were at the campgrounds just south of the boat ramp. While at the heron rookery a flock of 82 Redheads circled just over my head and landed just below the observation deck; cool!

Next I headed to McLellan Reservoir where my third Black Scoter of the day was observed. A small group of gulls included an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull!

With fading light a check of the new South Platte Reservoir found it void of birds. This was good as it was probably too dark to identify much.

My birding day ended back up Deer Creek Canyon. A search for Northern Pygmy-Owls (or any owls) came up empty.


No comments: