Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 11, 2008

Richard Stevens:

While again doing chores, I passed through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County). The lake was calm and birds were scarce.

I counted 17+ Bonaparte's Gulls standing on the Cherry Creek Delta off the Bird Observation Platform at the Cottonwood Creek Loop.

The dozens of Western Grebes, Eared Grebes, American Coots, and Pelicans were still out on the water. Gulls included dozens of California Gulls, hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls, and an adult Herring Gull. I did not relocate the Thayer's Gull or the Mew Gull (which I have missed on a dozen visits now).

I hiked the south side of the lake from the Cottonwood Creek Loop to the Mountain View Loop hoping a stray Long-eared Owl had stopped by overnight. None were found. The riparian areas were pretty quiet except for a small flock of 5 Black-capped Chickadees.

No comments: