Saturday, November 29, 2008

Jackson and Adams County Birds!

November 29, 2008

Richard Stevens:

After a cold night we drove up to Delaney Butte Lakes (Jackson) and found a Snow Bunting flying around. Before heading up there, we drove quickly over to Jackson County Road 26. At first light, two Greater Sage-Grouse were walking the road!

We searched for crossbills, Rosy Finches, American Three-toed Woodpeckers, etc at the Colorado State Forest Visitor's Center; without success and headed for home.

After splitting up, I cut across northern Denver to miss the Interstate 70 traffic. Since I passed 88th avenue and Colorado Blvd decided to walk the east side of the S. Platte River from 88th avenue to Tani Reservoir and back.

Right off the start, the White-winged Scoter previously reported by Ken Chavez on West Gravel Lakes was observed just east of the East Gravel Lake dam tower.

Continuing South I photographed a male and female Barrow's Goldeneye swimming at the south end of East Gravel Lake. I hiked to the south end of Tani Reservoir (south of E. Gravel Lake). Here I relocated the larger male Barrow's Goldeneye that I have been seeing for a week or so.

Checking the lake south of 88th avenue and east of Dahlia, I could not relocate the Long-tailed Duck that I found earlier. I checked both the south and west ends of the "L" shaped lake. There were many Canvasbacks, Ruddy Ducks, Common Goldeneyes, and Buffleheads.

I scoped the larger lake north of 88th avenue and east of Dahlia from a pullover along 88th avenue. One of the two Long-tailed Ducks I found last week was observed. From the pullover one can also see a pond south of 88th avenue. Only Mallards and Gadwalls have been here the past week. I also could see the Mute Swan to the north. There once was a pair, but I have only seen one lately (and surely semi-pets).

Since I passed Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams) on the way home I made a quick stop at the Visitor's Center. Hiked over to Lake Lenore and found no geese. The Greater White-fronted Goose and Ross's Goose I found last Tuesday had departed with the 3400 White-cheeked Geese also seen Tuesday. The Biologist said the geese had left on Thursday.

At sunset I scoped Lakecrest only to find the same situation as the Arsenal, No geese, only a dozen or so Common Goldeneyes.

No comments: