Thursday, November 6, 2008

Search for Common Redpolls, Return to Cherry Creek

November 4, 2008

Richard Stevens:

I spent the morning searching for the Common Redpolls reported yesterday by Warren Finch at Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas Counties). My search extended from McLellan Reservoir to the north to Roxborough State Park to the south.

The several subdivisions which have known feeders were also inspected. I found no signs of Common Redpolls. There was a Northern Shrike on the fence line along Titan Road.

I should have looked over Chatfield Reservoir for waterfowl, but never got around to it. Focus was on the Common Redpolls.

Late in the afternoon, I returned to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). A Rough-legged Hawk was hovering over the entrance to the Cottonwood Creek Loop.

Ten Bonaparte's Gulls stood on the sand spit off the Bird Observation Platform at the Cottonwood Creek Loop. Approximately 200 Ring-billed Gulls, 28 California Gulls, and 1 adult Herring Gull were also here.

While I was scoping the lake for the Red-necked Grebe I found yesterday, I noticed a raft of 4 blackish ducks. They turned out to be 4 Black Scoters! The Red-necked Grebe was never relocated.

While scoping the lake at the west end of the Lake Loop, I observed one Common Loon. It only surfaced for less than 10 seconds and dived the rest of the time. I hung around for 30 minutes but did not observe any additional loons.

No Red-necked Grebe was picked out of the hundreds of Western Grebes. Plenty of Eared Grebes and a few Horned & Pied-billed Grebes were also out there. American White Pelicans and American Coots were plentiful also.

The gulls on the southwest sandbar included only Ring-billed and California Gulls. One of the California Gulls is much darker than the rest.

No comments: