Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Super Afternoon At Aurora Reservoir

November 15, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Terry Michaels and I continued our bi-weekly owling trips into the foothills.  Regrettably, we did not find any in the Pine Valley Ranch area early this morning.  Although, I have not yet taken the time to listen to the "owl listening stations" recordings.

We stopped by Harriman Lake Park (Jefferson) on the way home.  Two Harris's Sparrows continue!

After dropping Terry off, I drove over to Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe).  This remains the hottest birding spot around. 

Eventually I saw a Black Scoter, five Surf Scoters, two White-winged Scoters and at least four Common Loons.  I confirmed a Red-necked Grebe sighting I first observed on Saturday, November 12.

Finally, shortly after sunset a Trumpeter Swan flew into the cove at mile 4.0.  I have to rush over to confirm the identity.  The southern gates to Aurora Reservoir close at 5:30 pm this month.  I did not want to be locked in the Reservoir.

I also got a glimpse of an owl flying 50 yards from the eastern border.  Time was short; there was no time to investigate.

No comments: