Thursday, November 24, 2016

Brief Trip to Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 23, 2016

Richard Stevens:

After returning to Denver, I received a text message about a Snow Bunting at Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas).  I could not get to Chatfield State Park because of traffic before dark and stopped at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) instead.

Perhaps a Snow Bunting could be found here?  I looked around any sand beaches and the model airplane field for Snow Buntings.  None was found.  In fact, I ran into no sparrows at all.

No loons, scoters or other uncommon birds were found.  Six Bonaparte's Gulls flew around below the dam.  Several dozen American White Pelicans and two Double-crested Cormorants stood on the poles outlining the south marina.

At sunset, I parked at the gun range entrance road and scoped the cattail fields to the east.  No Short-eared Owls appeared tonight.

No comments: