Saturday, November 12, 2016

A Couple of Hours at Aurora Reservoir

November 12, 2016

Richard Stevens:

After returning from a couple of days of owling in Park County, I stopped at Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe) on my way home.

I sat at the bench about a mile north of the southern entrance to Aurora Reservoir for about an hour and a half.  My fortune was better than a birder who had sat there for a couple of hours earlier.

A Surf Scoter was 15 feet off the shore just below the bench as I arrived.  Two White-winged Scoters swan at the mouth of Senac Cove to the northwest.  Two Common Loons swam around mile 4.5.

Then I noticed another scoter swimming up from the south end of Lone Tree Cove (east of the bench).  While watching it to see if it was a White-winged Scoter or Surf Scoter, a Black Scoter swam north into view.  The other scoter turned out to be another White-winged Scoter.

No owls appeared tonight as I watched from a high point on the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver).

No comments: