Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Another Loon Search at Cherry Creek Reservoir

October 30, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Spent most of the day doing chores, however, I did stop by Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) to look at loons.  I was sure that the two loons I observed below the dam on 10/27 (Thursday) were Pacific Loons.

Many other birders reported two Red-throated Loons on 10/29 (Saturday).  Either I missed the identification of the Pacific Loons or I was sloppy.  After seeing the Pacific Loons I did not scope the rest of the Lake, instead went home.  Maybe both pairs of loons were on the lake?

Anyway, today I scoped the lake from the east side of the lake loop and the northeastern boat ramp.  The pair of Red-throated Loons was the only loons I found today.

No Burrowing Owls or Short-eared Owls were along the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver) this evening.  I believe the Burrowing Owls have departed for the season.

No comments: