Saturday, October 29, 2011

Return to Park County and Denver

October 27, 2011

Richard Stevens:

Bryan Ehlmann and I wanted to visit the Park County Trio of Reservoirs (Antero, Spinney Mountain, & Eleven Mile) before winter came in earnest.

Our count today was:

Antero Reservoir
New addition: Tundra Swans (2)
Surf Scoter (2)
Black Scoter
Common Loon

Spinney Mountain Reservoir
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Common Loon

Eleven Mile Reservoir
Common Loon

Upon returning to Denver, I drove over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County). A Pacific Loon was swimming alone in the southeast corner of the lake.

I scoped from the Bird Observation Platform at the Prairie Loop. A Willet and 6 Long-billed Dowitchers wandered back in forth in front of me!

The reservoir was scoped well. No additional loons were found. This leads me to believe that there is a turnover most days. The Red-throated Loon and 2 Common Loons reported on 10/28 by Glenn Walbek were not there the afternoon before.

If this holds true, the Red-throated Loon Glenn found was the second in the past two weeks (which is what I believe).


No comments: