Monday, March 16, 2015

Trip Around Adams County

March 14, 2015

Richard Stevens:

Needed to walk around on this beautiful "winter" day after we drove 2160 miles around Colorado the past two weeks.  I chose the South Platte River at McKay Avenue.  I photographed the Dunlin last Saturday (see "photo library" link on Colorado Birding Society's website); however, decided to search for it again.  I walked along the S. Platte River from McKay Avenue (parking only for a couple of cars) to 100th avenue and back.  The shore was scoped several times without finding the Dunlin.  As far as I know, the Dunlin was last reported on Wednesday, 3/11.

Only a few White-cheeked Geese and dozens of Northern Shovelers were observed on the Platte River.  Sparrows between the River and the pond 300 yards east of McKay included three dozen White-crowned Sparrows, five Song Sparrows and one Lincoln's Sparrow.

Later I drove the DIA Owl Loop without finding any Owls, Burrowing or Short eared.

No comments: