Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Owling Around Arapahoe, Douglas & Adams Counties On a Spring Day

March 24, 2015

Richard Stevens:

I enjoyed this superb spring day with some fantabulous birding.  Temperatures reached 66 degrees; winds were calm early.  After 2:00 pm, temperatures dropped and winds rose to 14 mph.

My second trip to Plum Creek Delta in Chatfield State Park (Jefferson/Douglas County) was successful.  Thanks to Peter Pereira, I found the three Rusty Blackbirds walking along the sand shore east of the marina sand spit area.  They were just west of the east end of the sandy shore.

I walked over to the Plum Creek Delta footbridge and continued upstream/south along the Creek.  The Winter Wren was heard calling from the west side of Plum Creek (in Douglas County).

Several stops were made between Chatfield Reservoir and the DIA Owl Loop (Adams County). 

Before the day was over, I was able to find three Eastern Screech-Owls in three locations.

At Barr Lake (Adams), I walked the Niedrach Trail Loop.  Several Song Sparrows were in the center of the loop.  One sparrow kept my attention for a good 30 minutes.  I finally grabbed a long enough look to identify it as a Lincoln's Sparrow.

My birding day ended with a drive around the DIA Owl Loop.  Two Burrowing Owls stood together on a prairie dog mound at 114th avenue and Trussville Street. 

I hoped to relocate the two Burrowing Owls previously found at the prairie dog village at 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue.  Unfortunately, someone is now running cattle there.  Only a few prairie dogs and no Burrowing Owls were out.  It remains to be seen if the cattle will influence Burrowing Owl nesting here this summer.

Regrettably, no Short-eared Owls were found at sunset as I drove Gun Club Road, Queensburg Street and Trussville.

No comments: