Friday, November 18, 2011

Visits to Boulder, Jefferson, Adams & Arapahoe Counties

November 18, 2011

Richard Stevens:

I enjoyed a good day of birding in spite of missing the Boulder Sedge Wren in a 3+ hour search. Winds were 18+ mph with gusts to 26; not helpful in locating the wren.

From Boulder, I headed to Red Rocks Park (Jefferson). Yesterday, I searched for 2 hours without finding the Golden-crowned Sparrow. Today, the sparrow visited under the feeders within 10 minutes of my visit!

Next, I went to the South Platte Birding Area (Colorado Blvd & 88th avenue). The pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes was on the River at 20 yards downstream (south) of the green & white tower.

The Long-tailed Duck was not on Tani Reservoir, East Gravel Lake or north & south West Gravel Lake (western West Gravel Lake was not checked).

My plan was to go to Barr Lake; however, I got the text message about the Harris's Sparrow at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and went that way.

When I arrived at the Lake Loop, Cherry Creek Reservoir, the Harris's Sparrow was with 4 American Tree Sparrows on the small grassy area north of the Rowing Club Building, Lake Loop. I took about 66 photos, surely one or two will come out (will see later).

An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was on the poles around the southwest marina. Several Bonaparte's Gulls flew around the picnic area with Gull wings as table covers. The day ended with a fantastic sunset over Cherry Creek Reservoir.

No comments: