Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Varied Thrush in Arapahoe County

November 22, 2011

Richard Stevens:

Plans were to stay home and get chores done today. However, a report of a Varied Thrush in Aurora (Arapahoe) altered those plans.

The Varied Thrush was not in the apple trees or yard where first reported. Therefore, I walked south down the bike path through Los Ninos park to the next road.

On the return trip, the Varied Thrush flew out of the yard with 4 tall and 2 short evergreens along its fence (east side of path). It stopped briefly at the bare tree on the west side of the path and then continued to the Russian Olive Tree in front of the sixth house south of the original yard.

By the time, I circled to the front of the house; I only got a glimpse of the Varied Thrush flying to the backyard and then north.

Eventually the Varied Thrush was going to return to 3904 S. Idalia Street. However, I did not want to wait around for it. I suggested to several arriving birders to watch the original yard and the yard to the north which had a birdbath and feeders (the Varied Thrush was observed there on both 11/23 & 11/24).

I drove through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) on my way home. No Harris's Sparrow, two Bonaparte's Gulls were observed flying below the dam.

The last 3 hours of daylight were spent trying to relocate the Winter Wren found yesterday at Barr Lake (Adams). I also scoped the lake briefly; no swans were found.

No comments: