Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Testing My Night Vision Binoculars, Banner Lakes

November 15, 2011

Richard Stevens:

I almost kept my promise to my feet to keep them out of hiking boots today. Late in the afternoon, I drove over to Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld County) walked to the northern end of the property, then waited for dark.

No Short-eared Owls came by at dusk. In my recollection, they are observed about 1 in 9 or 10 visits as they fly over the cattails and sparse trees along the eastern side of the string on ponds.

Only a few Dark-eyed Juncos and many Robins were observed on the trip north. After dark, I was able to test out the Night Vision Binoculars. Anyone out there that also uses them? I would enjoy talking about their use in searching for passerines after dark?

They were again impressive and astonishing. I found three Long-eared Owls hiding in the windbreak along the western side of the northern ponds!

On the way home, I stopped at a friend's home. He occasionally has Barn Owls on his property. The Night Vision Binoculars did not find any tonight.

No comments: