Sunday, November 13, 2011

Stop at Cherry Creek Reservoir, Arapahoe County

November 12, 2011

Richard Stevens:

While out doing chores, I stopped at Cherry Creek Reservoir.

Best location was the southwest marina. Just before sunset (4:41 pm) the hundreds of gulls on the marina poles included a 1st cycle Lesser Black backed Gull, adult Mew Gull, 2nd cycle Thayer's Gull, Herring Gulls, California Gulls, and Ring billed.

Would have taken some great photos, however I needed 3 or 4 additional seconds. Just as my camera was focusing, a huge dog jumped in the water and all the gulls flew.

There was no sign of the adult Lesser Black backed Gull. Many gulls and waterfowl were out in the middle of the lake. In 15 mph winds, gusts to 28, my scope was useless.

After dark I searched for owls (Great Horned Owl) at the Campgrounds and the northwest grove of trees (always felt this would be a good place for an odd owl such as Northern Saw-whet Owl); without success. The two campers I talked to said they have not heard any Great Horned Owls calling at night.

No comments: