Monday, March 26, 2007

Cherry Creek Reservoir & DIA Owl Loop

March 26, 2007

I again drove through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) while doing chores. There were partly sunny skies over the DIA Owl Loop; however by the time I arrived at Cherry Creek the storm front was overhead.

Highlight was an adult Franklin's Gull at the southwest marina (first of the year for me!). Gulls and waterfowl were few. Again I ask, where are they going this year? In the past, the southwest marina was lined with gulls at sunset.

Hawk count this evening was 5 Western Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Harlan’s Red-tailed Hawk, 1 dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk, 1 female Northern Harrier, and a pair of American Kestrels. Several Ring-necked Pheasants were in the brush around the shooting range.

I also drove part of the DIA Owl Loop. Six Burrowing Owls at the 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue site and one just west of Trussville Road and 114th avenue.

No comments: