Saturday, March 10, 2007

Another Hike Along the South Platte River

March 9, 2007

I spent most of the week sitting in a car, so I needed a hike today. I hiked along the South Platte River from I270 to 88th avenue. The day was nice, winds were mild. However birding was slow.

I found a Northern Shrike at the southwest end of the chain link fence around Tani Reservoir (body of water south of East Gravel Lake).

A side trip was made along Clear Creek in search of one of the two Harris's Sparrows reported in the past month. I was unable to find either one.

A pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes was again on the river below the green and white tower about a mile south of 88th avenue. They were scared by a dog and ended up on East Gravel Lakes. All three Mergansers were also observed on East Gravel Lakes. Among the over 300 gulls on East Gravel Lake, I could only find Ring-billed Gulls and half a dozen Herring Gulls.

I checked the two West Gravel Lakes but did not find the third Barrow's Goldeneye that has been wintering in the area.

All the bodies of water along the route were scoped for the Long-tailed Duck; without success. The only hawks found today were 2 Red-tailed Hawks.

No comments: