Thursday, November 2, 2017

Chatfield Reservoir, Cherry Creek Reservoir & Barr Lake

October 30, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures barely reached 39 degrees.  Winds were 6-7 mph with gusts to 12 mph.  It was cold!

Most Colorado Murrelet sightings are recorded in late October or early November and after a snowstorm.  The majority of Murrelet sightings are from Chatfield Reservoir.  I headed down to Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas) about two hours before sunrise. 

My first stop was Deer Creek west of Chatfield Reservoir.  I walked Deer Creek Road from just west of the Denver Botanic Gardens to Spring Valley Park.  No Northern Pygmy-Owls was found.

Then I hiked the Chatfield Reservoir dam from the upper parking area to Plum Creek Delta.  Western Grebes were the majority birds on the lake.  No Murrelets, Loons or scoters were found.

I drove through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) on the way home.  The Common Loon and Bonaparte's Gull were still there.  No scoters or the Red-necked Grebe could be located.

A brief stop at Barr Lake (Adams County) did not relocate the Winter Wren I found yesterday.

No comments: