Sunday, October 29, 2017

Barr Lake and DIA Owl Loop

October 29, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Another fantastic fall day in Colorado, temperatures reached 73 degrees winds were 4-5 mph, some gusts late in afternoon at 12 mph.

In the afternoon, I decided to go for a hike at Barr Lake State Park (Adams County).  Nothing rare was expected; it was nice to get outside.

When I crossed the Visitor's Center footbridge a yellowish striped and dark headed warbler flew deep into the trees.  Most likely, it was a Townsend's Warbler and not a Blackburnian Warbler.  However, it was lost and never relocated.

At the Niedrach Boardwalk, a smallish grayish bird flew along the southern trail.  Regrettably, from my vantage point on the north side of the loop it was not identified.  For the second time, I lost a bird and was unable to ID it.

When I returned to the Visitor's Center footbridge (mile 9.0), I noticed a birder studying the woods near mile 8.5.  I slowly worked my way north to the spot (the birder had continued north).

A small wren type bird flew out of the brush at the water's edge at mile 8.5.  The Stub-tailed Wren flew to the underbrush at the only tree in the clearing between mile 8.6 and 8.5.

First, I played a Winter Wren song and call for a minute, waited 5 minutes, then played a Pacific Wren recording.  No response, however five minutes later I again played a Winter Wren recording and the Stub-tailed Wren popped out of the tangled brush.

The Stub-tailed Wren appeared more like a Winter Wren than Pacific Wren.  Contrast between the dark heavily streaked flanks and the lighter chest and throat. 

Unfortunately, the bird did not make a sound.  Joan Dicell (may be spelled wrong) returned just as the wren came out and was able to see it. After 45 minutes, I moved on back to the Visitor's Center.

A check of the three locations of Burrowing Owls on the DIA Owl Loop (Denver/Adams) again found none.  No plans to search again this year, two Ferruginous Hawks stood on the prairie dog village at West Cargo Road and Third Creek.  No Short-eared Owls appeared this evening.

No comments: