Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Red-throated Loon at Cherry Creek Reservoir

April 12, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Today was a day to do chores around the house.  The lawn really needs to be mowed.  However.........

I received a text message about a Red-throated Loon at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and was "forced" :-) to go see it.

Timing is quite important in life and birding.  I arrived at Cherry Creek Reservoir at 3:15 pm.  The Red-throated Loon was just off the Mountain Loop.  Unfortunately, I was at the southwest marina.  My scope allowed good looks at the loon; it was too far away for a photo.

What a beautiful bird in its alternate (breeding) plumage.    The sun shone on the loon.  The light gray head contrasted with the bright red throat.  It was only the second time I was able to study one in breeding plumage in Colorado!

Dan Stringer and I left for the Mountain Loop at 3:30 pm.  When we arrived at the Mountain Loop, the Red-throated Loon had already taken off.

I scoped Cherry Creek Reservoir for the next hour and a half without finding it.  Most likely it was gone.

On my way home, I scoped nearby Quincy and Aurora Reservoirs.  The Red-throated Loon was not found at either lake.

It was raining when I passed the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver).  The only Burrowing Owls found were one owl at Trussville & 114th avenue & one along Picadilly Road between 128th & 120th avenues.


No comments: