Monday, April 11, 2016

Genesee Mountain Park & Barr Lake

April 5, 2016

Richard Stevens:

My two birding companions and I drove up to Genesee Mountain Park (Jefferson) before they had to catch a Plane back home.  We relocated two Williamson's Sapsuckers near the group picnic area and headed for DIA.

Five Burrowing Owls were found along the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver) on my way to Barr Lake State Park (Adams).

I walked from mile 2.0 to 3.5 at Barr Lake (Adams) looking for the Harris's Sparrow reported earlier in the day; without success.  No sparrows were found at all.

Then I sat down and watched the Rookery at mile 3.0 for about an hour and a half.  I hoped one of the cormorants flying around would be the Neotropic Cormorant reported last week by Terry Michaels.  I did not find one.

A quick stop at the eastern entrance found the Barn Owl at the banding station and Long-eared Owls at the entrance windbreak.

Later I stopped at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) at 7:15 pm.  The Glaucous Gull & a Lesser Black-backed Gull were standing on the southwest marina.

No comments: