Saturday, April 23, 2016

Another Eastern Phoebe Search at Marjorie Pearl Nature Preserve

April 21, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures reached the middle 60s today.  Winds were calm until late afternoon.  Anemometer readings were 5 mph at 6:00 pm

I returned to Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve for yet another search for the Eastern Phoebe.  In two hours, I again was not able to find the bird.

The highlight was a quite whitish Barn Owl along the eastern side of the Northern Pond (of three) at the Preserve.

I literally walk underneath the owl.  Noticing movement above me, I look up to see the Barn Owl not 15 feet away.  Knowing what would happen; I stayed still and watched the owl for a good 5+ minutes.  When I reached for my camera, the owl of course flew away.  It flew toward the farmhouse northwest of the pond.

Other birds encountered included Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Barn Swallows, a Hermit Thrush & an Orange-crowned Warbler.

Six Burrowing Owls were found along the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver) on my way home.  No Short-eared Owls appeared.

No comments: