Thursday, April 21, 2016

Barr Lake to Belmar Historic Park to Wheat Ridge Greenbelt

April 19, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures were warmer than yesterday, reaching 60 degrees.  Winds were 10 mph.
My first target was to relocate the Harris's Sparrow found by John Breitsch 4/6 and I on 4/11 (photos on Colorado Birding Society's photo library :)
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

It was not found between mile 3 and mile 2.  A Black-and-white Warbler was a nice consolation when it was observed at mile 2.4.

As my other trips, many Double-crested Cormorants were at the rookery (mile 3.2) and eighteen Great Blue Herons were at mile 2.6.

After lunch, I drove to Belmar Historic Park (Jefferson).  The female Vermilion Flycatcher was easy to find as six birders had their binoculars on the bird.

I spent another hour searching unsuccessfully for the Nashville Warbler & Black-and-white Warbler reported earlier in the day.

On the way home, I stopped at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt to again search for the Northern Parula.  This time the Northern Parula popped out of the thick bushes about 40 yards west of the Prospect Park southern parking area.

Yesterday, I mentioned to Frank Farrell as we searched that I thought a small bird was in the bushes.  It never came out and we eventually gave up watching.

I passed through the DIA Owl Loop on my drive home.  Burrowing Owls were relocated:
(2) at Third Creek & West Cargo Road
(2) at Trussville Road & 114th avenue
(2) along Picadilly Road between 120th & 128th avenues.

No Short-eared Owls this evening.

No comments: