Friday, April 29, 2016

Jackson Reservoir to Barr Lake

April 27, 2016

Richard Stevens:

First thing in the morning, Terry Michaels and I decided to checkout Jackson Reservoir (Morgan County).  While nothing uncommon was on or over the water, we enjoyed success at the western Campgrounds.

A Nashville Warbler followed a flock of 14 Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Later an Ovenbird was discovered in the wet riparian area near Pelican Campgrounds.  Two Long-eared Owls remained in the thicker woods.

I returned to Barr Lake (Adams) in the afternoon.  It was colder than yesterday with temperatures not reaching 60 degrees.  Winds were calm during my three hour walk.

I took a camera along in case of running into a rare bird.  For the most part, I just wanted to enjoy the birds (seen and heard).

When I entered the park, a Western Kingbird was hawking bugs near the entrance.  The only wild birds at the feeders were White-crowned Sparrows.

As I walked from the footbridge (mile 9.0/0.9) to the banding station (mile 8.7) many House Wrens were encountered.  A Spotted Towhee popped out of a gooseberry bush.

At mile 8.8 where the willow hangs over the trail, I found a Green-tailed Towhee.  Then another and another, the Green-tailed Towhee count ended at eight.  They allowed a great photo opportunity, which I skipped, another time perhaps. 

A flock of White-crowned Sparrows jumped to 28 birds.  A Harris's Sparrow following them was a surprise.  More House Wrens and then I reached the banding station.  The Barn Owl was "hidden" safely in the nesting box.

Farther down the trail at mile 8.6, a Hermit Thrush flew along the water's edge.  An Orange-crowned Warbler fluttered about the willows at mile 8.1.  One of the Ospreys, presuming the female, was sitting on the next.  Another stood sentinel at a nearby cottonwood.

I turned around at the Pioneer Trail (mile 8.1) and went back to the Niedrach Trail and boardwalk (mile 0.0 to 0.5).  A Common Yellowthroat chattered from the willows south of the boardwalk.

The highlight of the walk was a Common Tern that flew back and forth, just offshore.  It allowed close looks for about 5 minutes before disappearing to the north.

I drove the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver) just before sunset.  Eventually ten Burrowing Owls were relocated.

No comments: