Thursday, October 8, 2015

Ruddy Turnstone at Chatfield Reservoir, Return to Barr Lake

October 7, 2015

Richard Stevens:

In the afternoon, I drove down to Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas).  Winds were less than 6 mph; temperatures stayed in the low 70s.

The Ruddy Turnstone walked along the marina sand spit.  Of all things, it was turning over stones.

Three terns came and went.  I could only make out a Common Tern and two Forster's Terns (while others found an Arctic Tern).

Later I scoped the lake from Massey Draw (west side of the lake).  The Red-necked Grebe was observed swimming below the dam's tower.

The Burrowing Owl reported near the southeastern entrance yesterday was not relocated.

Next, I stopped by Barr Lake (Adams).  No grosbeaks appeared during the hour I watched the thistles along the canal, near the Visitor's Center.  I enjoyed the called Western Grebes on the lake behind me.  Many sparrows coming and going to the thistles were mostly White-crowned.  One Lincoln's Sparrow made a short appearance.

About 30 minutes before sunset, I drove the DIA Owl Loop (Adams).  Three Burrowing Owls were at the prairie dog town 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue.  None was found at the other sites reported this summer.

Two Ferruginous Hawks were again at the same prairie dog town (as they have been most of the summer).  Northern Harrier count was higher today (seven female type, one male).  Two Red-tailed Hawks and a Swainson's Hawk were also observed along the route.

No comments: