Thursday, October 8, 2015

Finally the Denver County Common Poorwill and Trip to Barr Lake

October 5, 2015

Richard Stevens:

I had some business in downtown Denver (Denver County) this morning and stopped by Cheesman Park on the way back east.  Thanks to Ira Sanders who pointed out the beer bottle and Common Poorwill sleeping next to it.  It was at the corner of 11th Street and High.

My next stop was Barr Lake (Adams).  Bryan and I had gotten photos of the two Grosbeaks accompanied by a 1st year Rose-breasted Grosbeak on 10/3.  I went back to see if they were still around and take photos of the male. 

Saturday the two unidentified Grosbeaks were of more interest.  I have not had time to look at the photos yet.  Today (Monday) I was able to take about 250 photos (digital) of the first year male.  At least one of the others was still there; however, it stayed mostly buried in the thistles.

I stayed about an hour on the side of the canal opposite the Visitor's Center.  Now and then the thistles would move.  Eventually the two Grosbeaks popped out for short views.

However, the movement in the thistles was also caused by 6+ White-crowned Sparrows, 3 Song Sparrows, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow and 1 Clay-colored Sparrow.

While waiting for the Grosbeaks, twenty seven Sandhill Crane circled overhead.  I hoped they would land in the sod farm to the southwest; they did not.

My birding day ended with a drive around the DIA Owl Loop (Adams).  It is the first trip since March that I did not see a Burrowing Owl.  No Short-eared Owls appeared tonight either.

A Sage Thrasher was on the DIA fence along 114th avenue at 100 yards east of Queensburg Street.

NOTE: After viewing the 360 photos taken Saturday 10/3, results: one young male Rose-breasted Grosbeak and one adult female nonbreeding Rose-breasted Grosbeak were there today.  The third grosbeak was not photographed.

No comments: