Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yuma County

August 31, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I skipped searching for Eastern Screech-Owls at Bonny Reservoir this morning and instead detoured over to Idalia for a search of the Inca Doves that are reported near the school. There are at least four reports in the past three years; I believe I have missed them on at least seven occasions including this morning.

Later I walked quite a bit of the northwest and southwest parts of Bonny Reservoir (Yuma County). Again, winds were quite strong 18-24 mph with gusts to 31 mph.

Shorebirds found included 2 Semipalmated Plovers and a lone Willet. A Common Tern was observed below the dam.

Passerines appeared to be hunkered down to avoid the winds. An Eastern Phoebe was found west of the boat ramp at Wagon Wheel Campgrounds.

I skipped driving down to Hale Ponds, tired of the winds I headed back to Denver. Last Chance Rest Stop (Washington County) was void of birds in spite of the great day Joe Roller had the day before.

No comments: