Sunday, September 26, 2010

Barr Lake Search for Magnolia Warbler & Plumbeous Vireo

September 25, 2010

Richard Stevens:

After spending the morning at Rocky Mountain Arsenal, I headed over to Barr Lake (Adams). Target birds were the Magnolia Warbler and Philadelphia Vireo reported yesterday.

At Barr Lake I hiked from the boat ramp (mile marker 7.6) east and north to below the dam (mm 6.5) and back. No warblers of any kind were found. An identified "Empidonax" flycatcher hawked insects at mile marker 6.8. A thrush took 20 minutes to see well enough to ID as a Hermit Thrush.

Returning to the boat ramp, I then hiked to the banding area (mm 8.7) and back. Again, no warblers were found in the next hour. I found a vireo at mile marker 8.2 (just south of the Pioneer trail); however, it turned out to be a Cassin's Vireo.

The Philadelphia Vireo was never found as I wandered around the banding area.

Several Burrowing Owls were observed at the 96th avenue site on my way home.

No comments: