Monday, September 13, 2010

Search for a Lesser Nighthawk, Douglas County

September 11, 2010

Richard Stevens:

By the time, I finished on my computer it was about 3:00 am. Why not? I decided to try for the Lesser Nighthawk observed flying over McClain Pit near Franktown.

I arrived around 4:15 am; it was still dark. I drove through Castlewood Canyon State Park (Douglas) and listened for owls at the Winkler Ranch. Then I returned north through the park and played Northern Saw-whet Owl recordings every 0.2 miles.

My final owl count was 6 Great Horned Owls (2 at the south entrance, 2 at the north entrance and 2 across Castlewood Canyon Road from McClain Pit. One Northern Saw-whet Owl also responded to my tapes!

Finally sunrise, I waited about 2 hours for the Lesser Nighthawk to show; it never did. I also checked the subdivision to the west of the McClain Pit and the Walker Pit across highway 86. No luck!

On the way home, I drove through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). The Long-tailed Jaeger was in the center of the lake (looking north from the lake loop). One of the Sabine's Gulls flew along the dam.

At least ten Burrowing Owls remain at the prairie dog village 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue.

From Bryan Ehlmann's Fall Count Report in the Jumbo Reservoir/Tamarack Wildlife Area;

Logan and Sedgwick Counties
Bryan Ehlmann reports from Jumbo Reservoir:
2 Sabine's Gulls
2 Common Terns
Eastern Meadowlark singing at the campgrounds
Cassin's Vireo below the dam

At Red Lion/Little Jumbo Reservoir:
Tennessee Warbler
Cassin's Vireo

Petrosky reports from Tamarack Ranch
Northern Cardinal
Field Sparrow
Nashville Warbler
Yellow billed Cuckoo

I caught a few hours sleep and headed to Burlington and Bonny Reservoir (Yuma).

No comments: