Sunday, May 26, 2019

Trip to Loviers, Douglas County

May 26, 2019

Richard Stevens:

High temperature was 73 degrees.  Winds were 11-12 mph with gusts to 17 mph (accompanied by rain at 5:00 pm)

I was headed to Boulder to search for the Hermit Warbler when a message arrive that it was not found.  I close the town of Loviers instead.

Shortly after arriving, the male Scarlet Tanager flew into the yard two doors down (north) of 1st Street and Elm Avenue.  Many Western Tanagers and a Pine Grosbeak kept the feeder occupied and the Tanager flew to the house at the southeast corner of the intersection.  Superb photos were captured.

Many Black-headed Grosbeaks, mostly male, Western Tanagers, both sexes, American Goldfinches and Eurasian Collared-Doves also visited the feeders.

Later I walked about a 1/4 mile down the Highline Canal from the Orchard Blvd parking area.  The rain was not going to deter; however, huge lightning bolts overhead changed my mind.  It was a good choice as shortly after getting to my car the area was hit with hail.  My birding day ended.

No comments: