Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Another Northern Parula Search at Cherry Creek Reservoir

May 2, 2019

Richard Stevens:

High temperature was 67 degrees.  Winds were 9-10 mph with gusts to 18 mph.

After morning chores, I returned to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) to search for the Northern Parula reported yesterday.

I examined the many wild Plum groves throughout the park.  These included the Pelican Point grove, the large grove north across the road, the model airplane grove and Cottonwood Creek groves.  No Northern Parula was found.

The trail north of the road at Pelican Point up to the Plum grove added a couple of new birds to my Cherry Creek Reservoir 2019 list.  A Vesper Sparrow ran up and down the trail searching for food.  A pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers worked through the Plum grove.  A Lincoln's Sparrow popped out of the bushes also.

On my way out of the Park, I found two Willets along the shore below the West Shades Picnic area.

No comments: