Friday, May 10, 2019

Birding In Boulder County

May 10, 2019

Richard Stevens:

High temperature reached 53 degrees in Boulder.  Winds stayed less than 4 mph throughout the partly sunny day.

I returned once more to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).  This time I stood in the dark about two hours before sunrise.  After an hour, I played several records.  First King Rail, getting no response after 10 minutes I tried a Clapper Rail.  Ten minutes later Virginia Rail recordings enticed one to respond.  Finally, a Sora recording got a response from a Sora.  Conclusion, confirmation of a potential King Rail at the Cottonwood Creek Wetlands will not be affirmed by me.

Next, I drove up to Boulder County and the CU Campus.  The riparian area along the creek north of Varsity Pond was hopping with birds.

Of course, the best was the Golden-winged Warbler.  I may have a photo or two, will checkout tomorrow.

Other birds found included a MacGillivray's Warbler, two Tennessee Warblers, a Virginia's Warbler, two or three Orange-crowned Warblers, a Green-tailed Towhee, and a Hermit Thrush.  It was an enjoyable two hours watching the birds!

My next stop was the CU East Campus.  One of the Gray Flycatchers was still around the Ponds (Peter Burke, 5/1).

An Eastern Phoebe flew around Boulder Creek west of 75th Street.  It flew in and out of the barn north of the creek (west of 75th).  I believe the pair has a nest in the barn!

I circled southwest of Boulder where traffic is as terrible as Denver now.  Twenty years ago when I live northwest of the airport, one could drive across town in less than twenty minutes, not any more.

A hike around the Mayhoffer-Singletree trail did not find the previously reported Sagebrush Sparrow.   I believe it was last reported on Wednesday.

After dark, I searched unsuccessfully for Flammulated Owls at several of their traditional nesting locations west of Boulder.

No comments: