Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Hike Of An Advanced And Aging Birder at Cherry Creek Reservoir

May 22, 2019

Richard Stevens:

I enjoyed this cloudy day in Cherry Creek State Park (Arapahoe) with a walk from the Lake Loop to Cottonwood Creek Pond and then up the Butterfly Hill drainage.  High temperature was 50 degrees.  Winds were 8-9 mph with gusts to 12 mph.

Regarding the title of the post,   Birding almost light to dark 5-7 days a week for 25 years qualifies me as an advanced birder.  Last year I spent almost half the year on crutches or in a wheel chair (accidental fall down stairs).

I am happy to say that I can walk 8-10 miles a day again.  Albeit, my normal speed of 13.5 minute/mile has been decreased to 18-19 minutes/mile.

I stood in one location for almost an hour today.  When just a beginner, the first 5-6 years, this was normal.  Today was the first time in years to do such.  Impatience sometimes sets in now, a downside to so many birding years.

On the plus side, with advanced experience, I can now identify birds from 10-20 yards, perhaps 30 yards by standing still.  It is much less strenuous on the neck.  As a beginner, I would stand under the trees and look almost straight up.

Today was much different than yesterday which was filled with hundreds of sparrows.  Total today: five Lark Sparrows, 8 Brewer's Sparrows and 4 Clay-colored Sparrow.
Lark Buntings: 120 at model airplane field, another 80 100-200 yards to west, none anywhere else

My walk started along the sandy shore east of the Lake Loop.  Nine Spotted Sandpipers, several displaying, showed off for a couple of females.  I continued along the path close to the shore and found two Swainson's Thrushes.

Once the path turned away from the shore, I found hundreds of warblers in the taller cottonwoods.  This is where I stood for a long time.  One group of 40 Yellow-rumped Warblers, four Black-capped Chickadees was joined by a Black-and-white Warbler (approximately 60 yards west of the bird platform.

Another flock of 30+ Yellow Warblers had a Tennessee Warbler.  A Virginia's Warbler walked under the burnt cattails (controlled burn) at the bird platform.

My hike continued along Cottonwood Creek to the Wetlands Pond.  Here a Swamp Sparrow was singing from the top of a willow.  We long have suspected that they may nest along this drainage, however not confirmed.

A highly streaked sparrow with buffy breast and face popped out of the cattails along the northern side of the Pond.  It eventually flew to the Cottonwood Creek cattails.

Six or seven photos were captured to be examined later.  It has not been labeled yet; however, I did photograph a Le Conte's Sparrow at Pelican Point on 5/4/2017.

Returning along the west side of Cottonwood Creek I found a female Rufous Hummingbird.  While trying for photos, an adult male Mourning Warbler came out of the thick willows (perhaps 30 yards north of the new footbridge).

I was able to watch the Mourning Warbler for a good 8-10 minutes.  Witness photos were taken; although, the bird never exposed himself completely.

Taking the more southern trail back to the Lake Loop I found two Swainson's Thrushes refusing to leave the trail (photos).  While taking photos a Nashville Warbler jumped out of some short willows.

Just before returning to drainage between the Lake Loop and Butterfly Hill, two Warbling Vireos flew around the cottonwoods close to either side of the trail.  While capturing photos, a Red-eyed Vireo was also observed crossing the path.

Next, I walked the Lake Loop-Butterfly Hill drainage.  From the west side I must have approached an active Hawk's nest.  Two Red-tailed Hawks flew out and a cottonwood tree and circled noisily overhead until I was well away, farther south.

A second Nashville Warbler was found in the willows about 20 yards north of where the riparian area opens up for 20-30 yards.

On the way back down the hill, a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers fluttered about the eastern side approximately 20 yards from Lake View Road.

No owls appeared this evening as I parked along the Shooting Range entrance road.

I must have 2800+ photos to sift through.  It will have to wait until next week.  My six 2019 grouse trips are finished.  I am going to the eastern plains for three or four days for some alone time and to catch the end of spring migration (hopefully).

Great birding to all!

No comments: