Monday, July 31, 2017

Search for Rivoli's Hummingbird, Laramie River Road

July 27, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Today I decided to drive up Highway 103 (Larimer) and search several locations where Magnificent Hummingbirds have been reported in past summers.  Now that Magnificent Hummingbird has been renamed Rivoli's Hummingbird, I was hoping to be the first to report a Rivoli's in Colorado.

Note, none was found however later I found out that two had already been reported; female type at Bailey, 7/22 & female type at Golden Gate Canyon State Park, 7/25.  Still it would have been nice to discover one in Larimer County.   Connie Kogler has found them three summers at Tunnel Campgrounds.  Steve Hsu the last on 8/13/2015.

No Rivoli's Hummingbird at Tunnel Campgrounds however I did find a female Dusky Grouse and two young, two Townsend's Warblers, and an American Three-toed Woodpecker.  A Calliope Hummingbird was among many Rufous and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.

By the way, a Pileated Woodpecker was found at Tunnel Campgrounds in August 2013 and a pair was reported at Chambers Lake a few days later.  No reports since.

Hohnholz Campgrounds contributed another Three-toed Woodpecker to my day list.  Chambers Lake Campgrounds added two additional birds.

On the drive back down Laramie River Road, I made a dozen stops.  A Flammulated Owl was seen at one stop and Boreal Owls were heard at two additional stops.

On the trip up I had set up my well hidden three "owl listening stations".  Listening to the recordings, I picked up additional two Boreal Owls and another Flammulated Owl for the day.

No comments: