Monday, February 10, 2014

My Sixth Unsuccessful Trip In Search of the Weld County Snowy Owl

February 9, 2014

Richard Stevens:

I took off by myself early this morning in a heavy fog.  The high today did not reach 20 degrees.  Winds were 14 mph, gusts to 21 mph.  The fog never really cleared up and there was light snow on several occasions.

A Long-eared Owl first reported yesterday by Jacob Washburn was found at the Crow Valley Campground Work Center.  I walked around looking unsuccessfully for Northern Saw-whet Owls, which from time to time do winter in the evergreen trees.

I did see a Northern Saw-whet Owl at a nearby friend's ranch.  We had observed it on 1/12; I stopped by just to say "Hi".  He had two Brown-capped Rosy Finches yesterday; they did not come by during my stop today.

From Pawnee National Grasslands I headed to Riverside Reservoir area (Weld County) and searched three hours for the Snowy Owl reported again yesterday (along CR 89, around CR 51).  Of course, I missed it for the sixth time.  Many Horned Larks and several small flocks of Lapland Longspur were observed.

Returning home, I picked up Rebecca Kosten and we headed to dinner in Denver.  While driving through the DIA Owl Loop we had two highlights.  A dark morph Rough-legged Hawk is uncommon for us. 

A flock of 100+ Lapland Longspurs was found northwest of the first 90 degree bend of 96th avenue (after it runs east from Tower Road).  Note: 96th avenue turns into Quency Street here; however, I have never found a street sign indicating such.

No comments: