Monday, November 29, 2010

Pueblo County Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Missed Common Redpoll and Brant

November 27, 2010

Richard Stevens:

Again getting to bed late at 8:00 am, my birding day did not start until 11:00 am. I found a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker east of the tennis courts at Pueblo City Park (Pueblo). It slowly moved south along Calla Avenue and flew down Collins Avenue.

The plan was to head south to Lathrop State Park and Lake Maria. However, Rebecca and several other cobirders found a Brant in Denver County and that was a year bird for me.

On my way to Denver (by way of highway 83, it is a much more interesting route than taking highway 25 interstate), I made a brief detour to Tomichi Gulch. I scoped the feeders where I found a Common Redpoll last week; without success in a repeat.

Once in northeastern Denver County, I searched Emerald Strand, Lakecrest and the surrounding fields for the Brant, without success. I did find five Ross's Geese, two Greater White-fronted Geese, and Snow Geese at several locations; it was not a consolation for missing the Brant.

I stopped at Barr Lake (Adams) and found a Harris's Sparrow below the feeders west of the Visitor's Center. Great-tailed Grackles and Eurasian Collared-Doves continue at the Picadilly Tree Nursery feedlot (south of 152nd avenue & Picadilly Road).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate. This blog is amazing. How can I make it look this good ?

Anonymous said...

Send an email to
birdertoo (at) hotmail.com
and I can answer your question.
Richard Stevens

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!I’ve been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work! Thumbs up, and keep it going!.