Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Boulder County and Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 17, 2010

Richard Stevens:

Still too tired to think of a catchy title...................

Instead of going to Gross Reservoir, I drove to the Brainard Lake area, west of Ward (Boulder County). It was snowing, but the sky was clear. I could see the starts and 3/4 full moon through the snowflakes. Winds were mild. All provided a calm surreal experience.

I could not get any owls (Boreal Owl or otherwise) to respond to my recordings.

After sunrise, I found an American Three-toed Woodpecker near the Brainard Lake trailhead. Most other birds were not moving around.

My stop at Paula Hansley's Louisville home was less than 45 minutes. Only a couple of House Sparrows and 2 House Finches visited her feeders during that time.

The last two hours of daylight were spent at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County). I scoped the lake from the Bird Platform (Cottonwood Creek Loop) and found 2 Common Loons and the Pacific Loon.

Then I hiked down the road from below the southwest corner of the dam. Unfortunately, the many Western Grebes had swum back into the center of the lake. I was able to pick out the Red-necked Grebe! Two additional Common Loons were found (the two farther east could also be seen, so there were at least four!).

I ended the day watching the many grebes and gulls from the handicapped fisherperson's dock. We had another fantastic Colorado early winter sunset; it was outstanding.

Several Bonaparte's Gulls flew about. However, the Mew Gull escaped my inspection.

No comments: