Monday, November 22, 2010

Common Redpoll at Tomichi Gulch, Return to Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 21, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I enjoyed an exciting day of birding. First, I drove south to Tomichi Gulch (Douglas County) in search of a possible Eastern Towhee (Kingery 11/19). Throughout the day, the weather changed drastically. At Tomichi Gulch, it was sunny, 40 degrees and calm winds. Later at Castlewood Canyon State Park (Douglas), I measured winds steady at 28 mph with half a dozen gusts at 37.7 mph. At Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) around 11:00 am, temperatures dropped 20 degrees and winds were 25+ mph.

I had not been back to Tomichi Gulch since 1993. When I first started birding, I thought that I could get my "lifebird" Band-tailed Pigeon there. Mixed Ponderosa Pine forest, creek and cottonwoods, after 14 visits, It sunk in that Tomichi Gulch perhaps is not the place to find Band-tailed Pigeons.

Many birds were found during a 0.7 mile hike from the trailhead east along the creek to the northeast corner of the "working ranch" where the trail opens up into prairie.

All three nuthatches, American Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, Western Scrub-Jays, Song Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos. Three Spotted Towhees were found, no Eastern Towhee.

When I arrived at the open prairie, a red capped bird caught my attention. A Common Redpoll was with 7 American Goldfinches on top of the willows. They eventually flew to feeders between two cream colored homes quite a ways north of the creek.

On the trip back to my car, an adult female Northern Goshawk was observed in a tree about halfway to the trailhead.

Another house with feeders was found at the first creek crossing east of the trailhead. The feeders are east of the cream colored house with wooden porch. If there is an Eastern Towhee in the area, watching these feeders could produce a sighting as I did see two Spotted Towhees visit below the feeders. Perhaps the Common Redpoll will also work his way west to these feeders?

Next, I drove through Castlewood Canyon State Park by way of Lake Gulch Road to Castlewood Canyon Road. I was hoping to see some bluebirds. None was found in the 28+ mph winds.

I ended my birding day at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). By the time I arrived, the Ross's Gull was no longer at the southwest sandbar. No gulls were at the bird platform area, Cottonwood Creek Loop or the southeast corner.

I did notice some gulls on the Jet Ski beach area. When I stopped to scope them, the Mew Gull was found among 3 dozen Ring-billed Gulls! Later, the Mew Gull flew to the swim beach.

Fog rolled in about noon or so and weather turned bad for about 2 hours. Then the sun returned and so did the Ross's Gull. Jerry Petrosky joined me and watched the Ross's Gull again hunting for fish in the middle of the lake.

I walked the north and then south "beaches" again looking for a Snow Bunting; without success.

Returning to the swim beach, the Black-legged Kittiwake was again missed, if he is still around? We scanned the lake and could not find any loons. However, Mike Henwood did report a Pacific and Common Loon. The Red-necked Grebe was not relocated either.

No comments: