Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Aurora Reservoir and Boulder County

November 16, 2010

Richard Stevens:

Too tired to come up with a catchy title....................

In the morning, I drove over to Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe County) and hiked the 8.8 miles around the lake. Quite a few ducks were there. Many Western Grebes but no Clark's Grebes were among them.

A Common Loon was below the dam (mile marker 6.5). A Pacific Loon was in the cove at mm 4.5.

Most of the gulls were on the beach at mm 1.5. I walked the hundred yards or so off the bike path and scoped the gulls. The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was among hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls and dozens of California Gulls. At least two Bonaparte's Gulls were picked out also.
In the afternoon, I drove over to Paula Hanley's Louisville home. She had seen a Wood Thrush and White-throated Sparrow earlier in the day.

I arrived at Paula Hansley's home in Louisville around 2:45 pm. Winds were quite strong (left my anemometer at home along with my cell phone so could not take a reading). I did not see the Wood Thrush in the 45 minutes I watched; winds got stronger. I did see a thrush (probably a Robin) fly out of her pines at 3:01 pm and go left (west I believe, anyway toward Tyler Street).

Next, I drove over to Teller Farms. A flock of 14+ White-crowned Sparrows and the Golden-crowned Sparrow were in the bushes right at the southeast corner of the parking area. They eventually flew along the trail toward North Teller Lake (same thing that Christian Nunes saw earlier). When I departed, the flock flew into the brush below the downed cottonwood tree, north of the trail and just south of Valmont Road.

I checked out Prince Lakes #1 & #2 and Erie Reservoir. The Lesser Black-backed Gull was at the west side of Prince Lake #2.

By the time I returned to Hansley's home, it was quite dark, however less windy. I did not see the Wood Thrush and White - throated Sparrow.

If the weather holds, I plan to go up to Gross Reservoir (west of Boulder) and do some owling. Camp up there and try for the Wood Thrush in the morning. This front is supposed to be a small one and moving out fast? I did hear Interstate 70 is closed from Silverthorne to Eagle.

No comments: