Friday, September 6, 2019

Return to Denver

August 31, 2019

Richard Stevens:

It was 91 degrees when I reached Broomfield.  Winds were 4-5 mph.

On the drive south on Interstate 25, I detoured over to Plaster Reservoir (Broomfield).  The previously reported American Bittern was almost hidden in the cattails.

I stopped at Barr Lake (Adams) to stretch my legs after the long drive.  In the afternoon heat, few birds moved about.  Highlight was a Philadelphia Vireo at the north end of the peninsula at the banding station.  I was able to watch the vireo for a good six minutes!

No shorebirds were along the shore off the Niedrach Trail today; so I circled over the north side.  The peninsula had not quite turned into an island yet because of high water.  The north side of the peninsula is often the best spot for shorebirds.

Scoping the peninsula from the north side of Barr Lake did not reveal any uncommon shorebirds.  A large number of shorebirds were walking the shore near mile 4.5.  Included in this group were the Black-bellied Plover in alternate plumage still, two Least Sandpipers, Western Sandpipers, Baird's Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs and one Greater Yellowlegs.

The sun set before I could explore below the dam.

No comments: