Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Ken Caryl Valley & Sand Creek Birds

September 10, 2019

Richard Stevens:

I spent the morning assembling a Ken Caryl Valley birding club.  Several of my friends have recently been turned onto birding, which allowed great access for me and other non-residents to an area restricted to residents.

Today we hiked about 1.2 miles (one way) along the Massey Draw Trail.  Highlights included a late sighting of a Bullock's Oriole and a Cassin's Vireo!

Later, I stopped at Sand Creek for another look and possible photo op of the Groove-billed Ani.  Today at 2:00 pm, the Ani was quite far east of yesterday's location near Akron & 37th street.

To find the bird today, I parked at Florence Way and Dayton Circle, and then walked northeast to Sand Creek.  The bird stayed in an 18-foot willow along the north side of the Creek.

No comments: