Sunday, October 28, 2018

Aurora Reservoir and Banner Lakes Wildlife Area

October 22, 2018

Richard Stevens:

High temperature was 73 degrees under partly cloudy skies.  Winds were 8-9 mph with gusts measured at 17 mph.

In the morning, I walked into Aurora Reservoir Park from the southern entrance.  The usual waterfowl suspects were joined by three White-winged Scoters. 

A Common Loon swam around Lonetree Cove.  The Pacific Loon I found a few days earlier was not relocated.  Most gulls were in the center of the Lake; no uncommon gulls were found.  I did not drive around to the northern entrance to scope the swim beach.

My birding day was planned to end at Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Adams).  Few birds moved about.  I did relocate one Long-eared Owl in the windbreak between Ponds 6 & 7.

NOTE:  Banner Lakes Wildlife Area is closed to the public during hunting season.  It is opened to hunting on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and legal holidays.  I carry a hunting license and therefore have access.

I try to "reserve" the least used area and farthest from the entrance.  This allows me to scope the windbreaks as I walk to the north end of the Wildlife Area.


No Short-eared Owls appeared this evening.  I did hear a Great Horned Owl call from Pond 13 area.

No comments: