Sunday, October 28, 2018

Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Boulder

October 21, 2018

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures reached 73 degrees.  Winds were calm with gusts to 3 mph.

I had not planned on birding today.  A text message about a Fork-tailed Flycatcher in Boulder County changed my mind.

I arrived at Prince Lake # 2 sixty-one minutes after the Fork-tailed Flycatcher report.  There was no need to search for the bird.  Dozens of birders had beaten me to the spot.

What a beautiful bird, only the second state report and possibility a first state record.  The flycatcher was a good distance away (just north of Prince Lake # 2) but flew up several times offering great views!


A stop at Prince Lake # 2 on my way home found the previously reported American Golden-Plover walking along the south side of the lake. 


No comments: