Saturday, April 14, 2018

Two Anna's Hummingbirds!!!

April 13, 2018

Richard Stevens:

It snowed overnight into early morning.  High winds in the afternoon made the 41 degrees felt quite cold.

I do not know how many birders were able to see two Anna's Hummingbirds at different Colorado locations in one day.

I started out in Fort Collins and was able to glimpse the female Anna's Hummingbird within 10 minutes.

The male Anna's Hummingbird at Eldorado Springs (Boulder) took 2 hours and 16 minutes to see.  Photos on the Colorado Birding Society's photo library:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net 

I had to pick up two birders at DIA at 6:00 pm.  Gave myself until 4:15 pm for the male Anna's Hummingbird to show, it appeared at 4:01 pm!

After picking up my new birding friends, we decided to skip the drive to Wray.  Both I70 to Kansas and I76 to Sterling were experiencing blizzard like conditions.

Instead, we drove to Barr Lake and saw the Barn Owl near the boat ramp.  Then a drive along the DIA Owl Loop found one Burrowing Owl braving the wind, well only his head.

No Short-eared Owls appeared; they would have been blown to Colorado Springs with 20+ mph winds out of the north.

No comments: