Monday, December 11, 2017

South Platte Birding Area, Big Dry Creek & Cherry Creek Reservoir

December 9, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Not one of my best days of birding.  Temperatures did reach the high 50s.  Winds were 5-6 mph.

I walked the South Platte River Birding Area (Adams) in the morning.  Only one of the Barrow's Goldeneyes was found on the Platte River south of 88th avenue.

In the afternoon, I walked the Big Dry Creek Trail (Arapahoe) from Dry Creek to Arapahoe Blvd.  On the return trip, I ran into Mary O'Connor who originally found the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

I could not find it.  Mary last saw the sapsucker flying up the bike trail heading uphill/west from the blue gray house.

Then I rushed over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and decided to search for the Common Redpoll I found on 12/7.  It was now 4:15 pm and daylight was rapidly fading.  The Common Redpoll was not found.

So.........I was walking a deer trail along Cherry Creek just north of the 12-mile beaver pond.  Rushing to get back to my car before complete dark, I tripped on a tree root.

Two fractured ribs, a dislocated shoulder and broken wrist later, when getting to the car, I discovered that my car keys had fallen out of my pocket.  After waiting for AAA, I eventually got to the ER.  Birding can be dangerous?

1 comment:

jnfr said...

I am so sorry to hear of your mishap. I love reading your reports here, so thank you.