Thursday, December 14, 2017

Aurora Reservoir Waterfowl!

December 13, 2017

Richard Stevens:

A small flock of Rosy Finches was relocated in Victor (Park).  Having stayed up all night, we decided to return to Denver.

Temperatures in Aurora only reached 50 degrees today.  Winds were 6-7 mph with gusts to 12 mph at Aurora Reservoir.

Email to cobirders listserve:

Terry Michaels and I returned around noon from a trip to Fremont County for some owling.  We passed through Pueblo County on the trip down.  After dropping Terry off, I returned home by way of Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe) which was my best bet to miss traffic.

It was a good/fortunate choice.  I scoped the lake from the upper parking area north of the swim beach.  Three Long-tailed Ducks, one male & two female were directly east.  Male and female White - winged Scoters were southeast of me.

The remaining daylight was used with a hike to the northwest corner of the reservoir.  From the northwest corner of the dam, I found two Greater Scaup and a male Barrow's Goldeneye.

Surprisingly, few gulls were around.  I did see two Herring Gulls and less than one hundred Ring-billed Gulls.  Perhaps the gulls were at nearby Cherry Creek Reservoir.

Thousands of White-cheeked Geese swam on the lake with thousands additional lining the swim beach and upper parking area shore.

I enjoyed the sounds of the geese under another colorful Colorado sunset!

No comments: