Tuesday, December 26, 2017

First Creek Trail, Aurora Reservoir & Smoky Hill Village

December 26, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Wow, it got up to 11 degrees today!  Definitely, a nippy day, I did not go out until the afternoon.  Winds were 2-3 mph with gusts to 9 mph.  If the wind was any stronger, it could have been real nasty day.

Once again, I missed the Harris's Sparrow along the First Creek Trail (Denver County).  Others are finding it; perhaps I will on my next trip.

On the way to Centennial to search for a Pine Warbler, I made a brief stop at Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe).  Temperature was 5 degrees at 2:00 pm; hence, I scoped the lake for only 15 minutes.  

The pairs of White-winged Scoters and Long-tailed Ducks were still quite a distance east of pavilion 4, upper swim beach parking area.  Nothing else uncommon stuck out in the short time it took to stiffen my fingers trying to focus my scope.  At least half a dozen Lesser Black-backed Gulls were also present.

The Pine Warbler was in a neighbor's tree when I arrived at Doug's yard in Smoky Hill Village.  Doug suggested the warbler could be observed from the neighborhood greenbelt (public access) south of East Garden Drive & East Garden Place.

While that is where I observed the bird for ten seconds before it flew north, when returning to my car, the HOH president and later a police officer questioned me.  

Doug suggests continuing to post the Pine Warbler situation.  Beware that you may be subjected to the same experience as mine. 

No comments: