Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Three Hour Hike around Welch Park

June 20, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures reached a record high 99 degrees today.  Winds were 3-4 mph.  It was hot.

I stretched my legs with a three hour walk around Welch Park and neighborhood in search of the Red-bellied Woodpecker reported earlier in the day.

I (or anyone else that I have heard) did not find the woodpecker.  A few birds were in the Park proper including White-breasted Nuthatch, Yellow-throated Warblers, Blue Jays, Bullock's Oriole and Downy Woodpecker.

According to my GPS, I walked 4.6 miles.  Route: twice around Welch Park, every road in 0.5 mile radius of Park and down Highline canal to Florida Avenue and back.  Speed was slow due to my broken toe.

The highlight of my hike was along the South Quebec Way trail (Highline Canal). A frequent walker pointed out an Eastern Screech-Owl!  Thanks Ruth!  It pays to talk to residents in any area one birds!

No comments: